Arrest of Ratko Mladic

I remember being about 15, and we used to have the Guardian at my school, and I'd usually read it during morning break. One day, in the G2 section, there was this big headline about the conflict in Yugoslavia. I can't remember the exact words, but it said something like, they are western children just like any others, they eat MacDonalds and now they're caught up in war that they could never have imagined. To my 15 year old mind this was like a bolt from the blue, the idea that people could have MacDonalds but also war. It really just did not compute. It really struck me and it's stuck with me ever since. Over the years, knocking around restaurants and shared housing, I've worked and lived with a few Bosnian and Serbian people, and every time someone gets arrested or something big happens I think of them. I don't really know what my point is or what my take on the whole thing is, because no matter how well I've known people it's never been well enough to ask any questions and maybe I should have but I always felt it wasn't my business, people can talk if they want and if they don't, that's also fair enough. I guess I just think that the whole thing was basically what I think of as men with guns and armies and other people just get caught in the middle. But I don't see capturing the men at the top as being any great leap forward, I don't really see it as a way to move forward, it's just that the story gets back in the news but presumably in the former Yugoslavia it's never gone away.

Comments

Popular Posts