Treats

I freaking love this song. It's post feminist, in case you're worried. I like a lot of things in this vein. Sometimes I worry. Should all women just toe the line in case men get confused by the mixed messages? I just don't believe that subtlety is necessarily a bad thing though, done well. I like careful your mum jokes though, and the one about the woman crossing the road which ends "never mind why was she crossing the road, what was the bitch doing out of the kitchen". But I do have qualms about them, especially as I'm pretty blokey myself. The sisterhood, man. I don't know, I really don't. I know language is a big hot potato in general, and not just for feminists. My take on it? It's good to have some basic agreements about what's ok, and what's not ok. Like it's not really ok to call women bitches (in case you didn't know). But sometimes, with enough context, sarcasm and layers of irony, whatever, just about anything can be ok. And as long as there are basic clear guidelines for normal use, and people feel ok about saying to each other "I didn't like what you said there, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't use that word again in front of me", or even sometimes "don't you ever say that to me again", we should be able to get on and make some progress. Push things forward. I've got an underused degree in linguistics, so I think I kind of know what I'm talking about even if you don't agree.

Anyway I think Ludacris is taking the mickey out of himself here. And people don't rape cos of one straw you know? It's a big camel with a big back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvrKzmkdBTI

Comments

Popular Posts