Friday

You don't really get weekends when you're unemployed but everyone around me observes them so I still get that friday night feeling, although (probably luckily) not in a three-pints-in-down-the-pub style. My sister got married last weekend and I was a bridesmaid, it was nice and a lot less stressful than I had anticipated. I had my hair done, which I strangely enjoyed, and I got to see my uncle, aunt and cousin who are ace and who I hardly ever see. Big presents for them this christmas I think. I also (as a result) have some lovely brown shoes - just need to find somewhere to wear them - and a brown dress that is a bit covered in stuff. It says dry clean but I'm sure you can handwash 100% polyester?

Job-hunting is going ok, it seems to be a good time of year for it. Autumn is my favourite season anyway. Fingers crossed.

Here's some good stuff:


An interview with Anthony Gormley:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/johntusainterview/gormley_transcript.shtml


A braille translator:

http://pbskids.org/arthur/print/braille/index.html

I might do something longer about the needs of visually impaired people later. A blind lady went into my niece's school and we were talking about it. When I got home I discovered that the use of braille by blind people has really declined in recent years, and the percentage of blind people who are employed has also declined dramatically. I'm met a few blind people while working in hospitality (you serve so many customers that the chances of meeting minority groups is increased I think), and I've almost always been struck by how difficult daily life is for them. I'm not sure that this needs to be the case. Anyway, it annoys me. My niece said that the lady said she had no something, I can't remember what, but it sounded a little bit like she had said "I have no soul". Given what people say about the eyes being fundamental to communication (eye-gaze in psychology, autism research etc), I wouldn't be surprised if the way that visually impaired people interact with sighted people is different, because this vital aspect is missing.

Now that lovely Jamie Oliver is on the tv. He's using one of those really giant rectangular baking trays that Italian cookery uses. Nice.

Comments

Popular Posts