Yesterday was a good day

I managed to spend a large amount of time outside, which is always nice especially in this nice weather that we are having right now. I'm working on my Dad's garden a bit, trying to make it look a bit less derelict and encourage wildlife. It already seems to be working as I saw a bird in there this morning and don't usually. I tidied all the plant pots into the shed which in itself made a big difference. While I was in there I had a bit of a look at all the chemicals he owns. I can't believe that people used to put those kinds of things on every plant they grew. Although organic may not be taking over the world attitudes have definately changed, I think personally that it's for the best.

In the afternoon I went out with my friend L, who has an allotment on the other side of town. After rattling around town in her van including getting to go to the dump (or recycling centre) which is one of my all time favourite places, we finally got over to the lotty, as she calls it. We harvested her squash and pulled up the tarpaulin which she had to cover the ground under the plants, which doesn't sound like a big job, but was, because all the things mentioned are very big and heavy and take a lot of moving. While we were doing that I discovered that she is quite fond of snails and has clear ideas about what kinds of snail deaths are acceptable (dying wrapped in plastic is not one of them).

As we were finishing there was a hot air balloon going over some houses. The wind was dying down for the evening and when I noticed them they were just hanging in the air, presumably beginning to wonder how they would ever get home. It picked up again, and they looked ok after that. I love hot air balloons, there's something quite calm and still about them. If I ever got a tattoo I think I might get a hot air balloon somewhere. I took a few pictures of it, I'll put them here if they are any good along with any other ones from gardening etc.

After this we had a fire in the garden of L's flat (which she rents out). She has very understanding tenants who don't seem to mind, also the garden is away from the flat a bit so it doesn't seem to disturb them. We cooked baked potatoes, a squash, and made some sort of hash in a pan with sausages, marrow and onion. Everything except the sausages was fresh off the allotment. It was really lovely, although I don't think there was quite enough as I was still a bit hungry later that evening. We have had some really good meals cooked over a fire like this, the best one was a few weeks ago, quarters of squash with chilli, garlic and oil, wrapped in foil. That was absolutely amazing. We burnt a piece of wood which she had which said "Community mmunity". I'm not sure whether it was meant to say "Community Community" or "Community Immunity". They're both concepts that I really like.

Anyway yes I had a really good day. The only thing that was missing was a beenie hat, because I think my head is a bit sunburnt now. Just need to learn to knit hats now.

Comments

Popular Posts