Spring 2010

So it's the return of the fashion police. Once when I was in hospital I met a lady who said to me "I always try and look nice, because if I look nice, feel better". In that spirit, here goes.

Disclaimer: this is only my opinion. I take no responsability for any fashion crimes or public humiliation which results from following this advice. And to be honest, few people who see me would take fashion advice from me.

So, men first. Suits are back in a big way as are beards*. If I had to sum it up in one sentence I'd say sexy poytechnic lecturer from the mid-90s. Or anything really, stripes and tweed also being very popular, with darker and muted colours. Basically men can't go wrong unless they wear stonewashed jeans. Dark denim boys, dark denim.

Ladies anything goes too. The jumble sale ensemble is set to rock this season as is shape. Colours are dark again, although plum and mustard are hot tips if you like the more preppy end of this style. Dark forest green, burnt orange and velvet are also around and can look good. I've seen quite a bit of turquoise but personally I say, steer clear of turquoise as it's a very unimaginative way to add strong colour. Also grey. Always with the grey. This season it's very dark graphite grey. Watch Sylvia the film for style inspiration from the fifties. Jewellery is also key to making more sombre outfits work. Dig out more dressy earrings and wear them with pride. If you don't want to look like you've tried to hard, pick a nice pair of earrings and then wear them for several days. That way you're getting the wear but you get used to wearing them and don't have to spend time choosing every morning. Necklaces are not such a big trend but make them big and tribal if you choose to wear one. And one final tip is long shorts with tights and preferably a nice pair of ankle boots. If I could drop a couple of dress sizes I'd be out hunting for shorts right now.

Springtime is outdoors time for kids and their clothes need to reflect that. Anything that can be washed and keeps them warm in this terrible weather we're having. Skirts over trousers or leggings work for girls and super-thick warm jeans are best for boys. Teenagers can wear what they like as I wouldn't presume to tell them about fashion. I'm always pleased to see a goth though. Happy dressing!

*Beards will be in every season from now until the apocolypse, btw. I love them.

Comments

  1. Incidentally have you heard of 'Movember?' http://www.movember.com/ (I know it's Feb - but hey)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Movember. I need a boyfriend so I can dress him up and make him grow facial hair.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts